Artica Tech offer a large database of categorized Web sites, today ( 2021 13 June ) Artica database contains 54 592 026 websites records inside 150 categories such as games, industry, travel, banking…
These records can be used to filter accesses to Internet according to client address, users credentials, Active Directory / LDAP groups, time range…
Based on this database, you can use 2 methods to use categorized websites :
The Web-Filtering service is a dedicated daemon running on your Artica server.
This daemon use it's own rules processing and download regularly Artica Tech databases ( about 300MB of files ) and load selected databases into memory.
On each request from your users, the proxy service will query in real-time the Web-filtering daemon and receive response if the request must be blocked or can be fetched from Internet.
- Checking rules are very fast in this method because finding a category from a website is made locally by your Artica server, there is no latency.
- The system rules processing is independent and makes it possible to de-couple the proxy ACLs rules from the web filtering rules.
This allows a better visibility and a more simplified way to build filtering rules
- The process autonomy consumes more system resources.
Depending on chosen categories, the web filtering engine can consume up to 3GB of RAM and consume an entire CPU for its own.
For example, the Industry and health database handles more than 5 million records and these records will be stored in RAM.
- It needs to download categories databases locally, when Artica Tech company enriches databases, your Artica server retrieves modified databases which can lead to regular over 150MB of downloads.
- Rules capabilities are more limited; You can filter only from time range, source ip address, usernames and groups ( AD and LDAP )